Friday, September 16, 2016

Its FALL up in here!

Well, it will be next week. But school has started and its not sunny today - yay! - so in my mind, its Fall! My favorite season!!

The boys went back to school last week. Public school. Both of them. In my last post I mentioned that Dax was homeschooling and that I really didn't see him going back to regular school. Ha ha ha. You'd think by now I'd have learned to not say things like that. He got so bored after a few months of homeschooling. Dax is VERY extroverted and being home with me all day was like torture for him. I however LOVE being home all day but it was not fun trying to keep a bored 2nd grader entertained once his schoolwork was done.

So, they are back to school. Xander started middle school this year! Middle school!! I still can't believe it. We went to curriculum night last night and all his teachers are RAD. He is going to have a great year. And Dax got a wonderful, seasoned, mellow teacher for 3rd grade. So we are looking forward to seeing what this school year brings for our sweet boys.

So now that I have two kids in school and still don't "have to" work, I signed up to regular auxiliary pioneer (for you non-JW's, that means I am voluntarily spending 50 hours a month in our door-to-door ministry). I figure I need to be giving God my best and since I don't have to work right now, I can easily give Him 50 hours a month.

And that still leaves me time to do all my housewife stuff which includes puttering around the house! I love this time of year because all the Fall home tours are up in blogland and I love nothing more than sitting down in the morning with my coffee and looking at all the prettily decorated homes. Its so inspiring. I have big plans for our house over the next few months and thought hey, I should snap some photos of what it looks like right now, for posterity. I am constantly changing stuff up around here and considering what I've got planned for this fall & winter I thought it would be nice to document what things look like right now. Please bear in mind these are unedited, unstaged, unwatermarked photos. ;)

This ^ was the daily text one Saturday and it inspired me.

Current mantel. This is getting ready to be changed for fall.
And yeah that is a bunch of ugly folding chairs. We have the meeting for service here on Thursdays and Saturdays so we need ugly folding chairs.
And there is nowhere to store them right now. So they just lean against the fireplace.
I hate it, but I love having the service meeting here. So its OK. At least they're neutral.



The gumball machine was a thrift store find
(which I am sure I will regret filling next time the boys see their dentist).

I found these hideous curtains at Value Village a few weeks back and my mom bought them for me.
I love them!!! They are just the blast of WEIRD that the living room needed. For now anyway. ;)
I can't decide if they were from a Fabulous Old Lady's living room or 80s Teen Debutante's bedroom, but either way they are custom & fully lined and somebody spent a lot of money on them a long time ago.



I hopped on the Fiddle Leaf Fig bandwagon. Let's see if I can keep it alive.
Have you ever said "Fiddle Leaf Fig" to someone who's never heard of one? The reaction is usually hilarious. "What did you say? Fiddly fig? What the heck is that?"


I tried to be like all the other cool people and do white walls. I'm not sure about it.
I would hate to admit that I am more of a beige person but I think that is truly the case.
White walls + boys = more maintenance than I'd like. Blah.

Dax drew this pumpkin (well, traced) last fall and I immediately put it in that frame and hung it up for the season. I'm going to hang it up somewhere again once I start decorating for fall.

Xander's room is an absolute hodge podge right now. We sold the bunk beds and were planning on a room re-do but now we've decided to move both boys to the basement bedrooms in the near future so this is how his room will be until we do that. Juston has a broken rib and foot right now (long story .. don't worry, he's OK) so no furniture is getting moved at present.

I love the collections boys come up with.
This brown cabinet monstrosity has been around for a thousand years. Seriously.
There are photos of it in the house Poodie grew up in. Apparently it must be kept.
It will either go in the garage for extra storage or I will paint it and put it in the living room.
Don't tell Poodie I'm still thinking about that, I mentioned it once and he was less than excited about that idea.

Dax has two frogs in his room now. They were Xander's science classroom pets last year and we took them home for the summer. Then the teacher emailed and said hey, I got married and we are moving to Germany, do you want to keep the frogs? So we have frogs now.
They're ADORABLE. Their names are Frog and Toad but we are thinking of renaming them.
Clouseau and Kato?
Jake and Finn?
The boys want to stick with our Adventure Time pet names, but I prefer Clouseau and Kato.

Dax is really excited about getting a big boy room in the basement.
He is incredibly artistic and knows exactly what he wants, and this current room is NOT it.

More boy collections. Its so fun to look back and see how they arranged their stuff.

The boys' bathroom is red. I love the color red, but forgot that I don't love red walls.
So I have BIG plans for this bathroom!!




I actually made our bed today. I really wanted to take a nap the moment I got up so decided if I made the bed that would prevent any laziness on my part.
Although duh .. as shown by the blankie on the couch, I have other options for places to nap.
And remember that pillow? I think I hate it. But its replacing a red one that was there. I got tired of red in our bedroom.


I have a dear friend who, the first time she came to our house and saw all the kid stuff in the yard, thought to herself "aww, this looks like a fun house!" She told me that later and I decided there was no greater compliment. I can get really persnickety and down on myself because our house doesn't look the way I *think* it should. When really, all I truly want is a fun, comfortable house, where people can make a mess and put their feet on the coffee table and not use a coaster or worry about spilling. And if bikes and crap all over the porch give that vibe before anyone even comes in, then I'm glad. I want to have the fun house!

Oh, Bmo! I'm surrounded by gross boys!

I don't understand why the purple mum doesn't need nearly as much water as the others.

So, that's our house right now. I can't wait to do all the updates we have planned and I will share the progress here. Now I think I'd better put on a bra and brush my teeth, its almost 1:00 for goodness sake.

No comments: