Thursday, March 18, 2010

Fresh air.

Yesterday we played outside. Not a big deal, I know, but I have been reeeeally lazy lately and it has been so cold that it takes a lot for me to get my buns outside with the boys. Even though I am a firm believer in fresh air doing kids a world of good .. its just so darn cold! Sometimes I secretly long for the days the boys will be old enough to play outside alone. We live in a wonderful safe 'kid' neighborhood and I have visions of the boys riding bikes up & down the street and playing in the yard as long as they want, while I spend hours cleaning and ironing and baking and dusting. Certainly not sitting at the computer or dozing on the couch. ;)

Anyway ...... we played outside. Oh, there is nothing like a late afternoon hour spent outside to remind me how delightful boys are. The fact they can be so incredibly happy with dirt and worms and puddles just melts my heart. Plus they're so stinkin' cute in their blue hoodies and dirty boots.


[I laughed so hard at the above photo. Look at Xander shielding his face as Dax throws rocks! Hilarious!]





Sprinkles of dirt on adorable Carhartt-clad buns. Love it:

Poor Dax. Sometimes life is rough as the little brother. Notice Xander blocking Dax's access to the dumptruck (yes, Dax is crying):


Cheesy self-portrait:

Other than the "seventies" action used on the photo above, I have not really tinkered around with my photos since getting my Nikon, other than changing some to black & white. The images are so crisp and fresh, I really don't want to mess with them. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon and I'll be back to using Photoshop actions in no time. Or maybe not .. maybe I'll be rebellious and swear off actions forever. :)

Major milestone yesterday:


I went to the elementary school and picked up Xander's kindergarten registration packet. It is a lovely school and had a great vibe; I snuck a peek in the library (my favorite part of elementary schools) and it is darling. Today it hit me that this summer will be our last summer without boundaries; without looking at the calendar. Every summer after this will be "summer vacation" ... such a weird thought.

Last night I served my family the most ghetto dinner I've ever made. Hamburger Helper, canned green beans, and canned peaches. Dax ate the entire can of peaches. Xander had three helpings of Hamburger Helper and two of green beans. Dax had one large helping of both; I think he was full of peaches. Of course the one time I make a naughty icky dinner and Xander totally pigs out. Go figure. At least my kids like veggies. The other night they were rejoicing about broccoli and last night they were stuffing their faces with green beans. I guess a little Hamburger Helper won't hurt them.

We leave on Saturday for a Mexico cruise, ending with a wedding reception in California on the 27th. Without kids!! Our first trip alone since our honeymoon! I have a lot to do the next few days. Let's see if I can resume blogging when we get home!

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Hey stranger, I just wanted you to know I stopped by and enjoyed your post. Boys are so precious. Screw hair boys and tights, hoodies and boots win every time. Yay boys!