Saturday, April 10, 2010

Boys love their mommies!

Tonight Xander succeeded in both cracking me up and making me cry (with joy). First, the laugh: We were watching 20/20, and at one point during the show a photo flashed on the screen of two people, and one person had their face blurred out. Xander said (in a very worried tone) "oh my gosh, that guy lost his face!!!"

Then later (the cry): on the news there was a story of a missing elderly couple. The wife was in a nursing home and her husband came to visit her, and apparently the couple took off together. In my mind's eye I could see the wife sitting in the nursing home, and her husband comes for his weekly visit. She grasps his arm and whispers in his ear "get me the HECK out of here!" and the husband, being so sad and lonesome at home alone, thought it was a great idea to whisk his beloved wife out of there and drive far, far away. For a few seconds the daydream made me smile, but then it made me sad. So I asked Xander "when Mommy is old and crippled, will you take care of me?" and he got genuinely upset and laid in my lap and said "Mommy, I don't want you to be old and crippled; it would make me so sad!" and I tried to reassure him that it wouldn't happen for a looong time, but he reached up and put both his sweaty, nail-bitten, almost-5-year-old hands on my cheeks and said "please just stay like this forever." Ohhh, goodness. How sweet is that?! I constantly think about losing weight, and how I need to use eye cream at night, and stop drinking Diet Coke, but Xander thinks I'm perfect just the way I am! Talk about a reality check.

I know nobody but me probably really cares about either of those Xander-isms, but I had to record them for posterity (and because I plan to make yearly books with Blurb off this blog and want to be sure to include his cuteness!).

Tonight I asked Juston to take some pictures of Dax and I. I knew they wouldn't be the best pictures ever, considering the fact that I am The Least Photogenic Person On Earth, but Dax won't be 20 months old forever and he definitely won't always be requesting "bed, Mommy!" For some reason he loves to wrestle with Xander, Juston, and/or me on 'Mommy & Daddy's Bed.'





I often call Dax "Mr. Blue Eyes." His eyes are so striking; strangers comment on them all the time. He gets the blue from me, since Juston's eyes are the most creamy brown color you ever saw, but they are nowhere to be found amongst our children. Interestingly enough, I never get comments on my eyes, but Dax does almost daily. My coloring and the dented chin .. that's about all our boys got from me! I definitely hope they get the frugal Martin gene and the patient easygoing-ness from that side as well. From my side, I hope for the sick sense of humor and the love of camping. :)

3 comments:

Terese said...

The sick sense of humor is pretty important in my book!:) Those are some striking eyes. Maybe Dax gets all the comments cause they just stand out more on a baby. But he is looking like a big boy these days. So cute.

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh so cute. I loved reading all of those stories.

X had me laughing and crying over here as well.

BrieanneVanessa said...

LOVE the reality check from your sweet boy! He's right; you are great the way you are!

Super cute pics. Good for you for wanting to be in them! You should be more often!

Brie*